Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Around the Block

This quilt was the 2014 Block of the Month (BOM) for the Wolf Hills Quilt Guild.  I am in love with the "on point" setting triangles and the way it all comes together in the end.  I deviated from the pattern when doing the multiple borders, only because I decided to make it totally from fabric I already had and I came up short to make the borders as directed in the pattern.  I tried out some new longarm quilting on this quilt.  I learn more with each one I quilt.  This is a Debbie Mumm pattern and available on her website.  http://www.debbiemumm.com/Projects/QuiltBlocks/2010/

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Blogging with the grands

We had 2 Grands for 2 weeks this summer.  We had a lovely time.  I took lots of photos and we talked about making a photo album.  In the end, we ran out of time and I started posting some of the photos on a blog to share with Mum And Dad back home.  https://www.wolfhuntinginabingdon.blogspot.com. You can pop over and take a look.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Beneath the Starlit Sky


 Every year I participate in the Quilt Challenge at the Appalachian Art Center.  It is fun to see all the different quilts made using 3 required fabrics.  The theme this year was "Star Light, Star Bright."  I used a paper piecing design of Beth Maddock's of Piece by Number to make this snowy nighttime scene.  And with the flip of a switch 12 stars light up the sky.  There is a string of LED lights between the fabric and the batting.  Wood grain fabric provides a frame (quilted along the grain lines) with 2 layers of batting to give it more texture. 


Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Looney Little Love Knot

The Quilt Guild I belong to calls these little charity quilts "Love Knots."  The focus fabric here was scraps from someone's clothing project (I'm guessing pajamas).  I added more scraps and stitched them together anyway they would fit in the center section. The borders were a little more planned to highlight Taz, Tweety, Bugs, and Sylvester.  Finished with some free motion meandering and it's ready to go. 

Sunday, February 16, 2014

364 days to Valentine's Day

A few years back I won this jelly roll of Valentine's Day fabric and started this quilt.   Not sure why I set it aside, but there it sat.  I almost finished it in time for Valentine's Day 2014! Almost :) 


Saturday, February 15, 2014

There Be Dragons




Melanie of catbirdquilts.wordpress.com has a great tutorial on Medallion Quilts.  She inspired me to give it a try with this great dragon fabric I bought for DS's quilt.  His birthday is Valentine's Day and I'm happy to say, this one will arrive on time. 

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Cat Shaped Heating Pad (Ice Pack)



This fabric looked like a great piece to make a cat.  It was only 1 fat quarter so I couldn't do much in the way of fussy cutting, but I think it turned out pretty good.  It is filled with rice and ready for the microwave or the freezer. 


Monday, February 10, 2014

4 quilt finishes - Yea!


You're the Apple of My Eye
Sweets for my Sweet





Picnic


Frog Song

Sunday, February 9, 2014

selvage chair up-cycle

 This chair was to be discarded as ruined (can you guess what happened here?)  A hot iron will melt straight through a vinyl chair seat, just in case you didn't know. 

The seat and the back were easily removed with a screwdriver.  there were just a few screws.  I've been saving selvages for a while now and this looked like a good project to use them on.  http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/ has been a great inspiration.  Using what I learned there I recovered the chair seat in selvage edges in a typical string quilt design.  The back of the chair is more of a braid pattern.  I like the words on some of the fabrics.  On the chair back is "The Times of Your Life" and on the seat it says "Play Your Song."



Friday, February 7, 2014

repurposed wool sweater

I was gifted a wool sweater after a family member accidentally laundered it.  I repurposed the body of the sweater into a sofa pillow and one sleeve became a tea cozy.  Careful cutting and 2 seams (top and bottom) are all it took for the pillow.  The teapot cozy still resembles the sleeve of the sweater.  I used some embroidery to finish the places I cut the sleeve, it disguises the raw edge and adds decoration.