Wednesday, March 21, 2012

making it up as I go

I think this is called Ohio Star,
but I started it so long ago, I don't remember
Another ditty for the NICU.  I started these stars a long time ago, uncovered them while cleaning.  I have lost interest in this project, but still feel the need to "do something" with the 5 blocks I finished. 

I added 4 plain blocks of flannel and started quilting without much of a plan.  I've been wanting to try feathers so I started there.  I like to try new things on projects that I can afford to scrap if need be.  I'm not totally happy with the feathers, but happy enough to continue.  I echoed the feathers next and then decided the stars should have a softer feel so I stitched curved edges on the triangles (found it much faster than SITD) the swirl in the center was the last idea that popped into my head, but I love how all the soft curves play together. 

Talk about a quick finish---- I skipped the binding and opted to serge the edges with wooly nylon and it is on its way to cheer up the NICU in WV.  I do hope it brightens someone's day. 
wrinkley/crinkley back